Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Fall Break

I’ve successfully made it back to campus after a luxurious fall break at home. The family nearly detained me, but I narrowly escaped. Nana just HAD to make me one last dinner before I left…

Although spending some time with my family was relaxing compared to the loud bustle of the dorms, being at home was certainly a culture shock. Dad had complied an epic list of chores for me to perform. I was under the impression that once you moved away from home, obligations to housework were severed. I was mistaken. It also seems that when you return home, high school curfews are suddenly reinstated. If you want to go out with friends, you have to ask permission. Even though there are practically no rules at college.

In light of these surprises, fall break definitely gave my brain a chance to coast. Even though Dr. Goren gave a suggested reading from the chemistry textbook for our break, I spent my downtime reading silly romance novels. I also watched some television, which I found overwhelming for the most part. I’ve probably turned on the tiny, 13 inch TV a total of five times since moving it into my dorm room. At school there’s no time for TV, there’s always something to DO!

I was so excited for break as a chance to swear off my laptop for four whole days! I should explain that your laptop is your best friend at college – especially on a paperless campus like Transy’s. I lug my lovely Mac book around to all of the best study spots like the campus center and the library’s quiet section. I had requested a laptop case for Christmas, but after the first week of school it became apparent that I needed to ask Mom for advance access.

I also neglected my homework over the break. This sets a bad example of time management. I’m still adjusting to creating regular study habits that work for me, and although I intended to be productive over our precious days off, I focused on sleep instead.

If napping was a major at Transylvania, then I would no longer be “undecided.” Much to my roommate’s dismay, I am a professional napper. College students are often in stress mode or recovery mode. In either case, the best course of action is often sleeping. Going to bed early is a great practice, weekend slumber binges are quite beneficial, and even thirty minute power naps can recharge you enough to get the job done. One perk of dorm life is that your bed is right next to your desk. Why not take advantage of that?

So if I have been lazy with my blog updates lately, naps are likely to blame.

No comments: